Saturday, October 17, 2009

10 miles - Big Day!

Double digits!  Julie and I ran 10 miles this morning and it felt great.  In the back of my mind I keep waiting for these long runs to be *too* hard, but so far they really feel good.  Of course there are moments out there where I'm pretty tired and moments when it's harder than others, but overall it's going great. 

This morning we slept in a bit and met at the Pill Box at 9.  Little did we know sleeping in was going to change the run completely.  lol  It was the perfect temperature this morning - cool, but not too cold, a little misty, but not too wet, a bit of a breeze, but not blowing hard.  It didn't stay that way, however. 

We took off running, right into the face of a storm.  We trotted along, chatting about The Biggest Loser and Tracy the psycho contestant, when the raindrops began.  Soon it wasn't just drops, it was a good old rain.  Around 4 miles we turned and were running south, straight into the wind which was no longer a nice breeze.  Headwind... not so good.  We only had about a mile on that road and then we were on our way back to town, now soaking wet.  Our shoes were starting to squish and water was running down our faces. 

Mile 6 brought the lightening and thunder.  The first few flashes were to the south of us with a few seconds between flashes and rolls of thunder, but before long the lightening would flash over our heads and the thunder would peal right behind it.  We joked about having to lie down in the ditch, but jumped out of our skins when the next one crashed.  I think we both forgot we were supposed to be tired from running ~ adrenaline, big time! 

By mile 8 the lightening and thunder had continued north while we ran to the west, but the rain kept pouring.  We ran back into town, soggy and dripping, but laughing and happy, too.  That 10 miler went by fast!  Our time was pretty good, too.  It was our longest run, but our time was better than some of our shorter runs.  I think every time the thunder rolled we ran faster!  lol

I got home and posed for a few pictures, but really you cannot tell how completely drenched we were.  I wrung out my socks on the front porch and it seemed like buckets of water came out.  By the time I made it to the shower there were rivers of water pouring down my legs.  I can't imagine how long it's going to take my shoes to dry out. 


That was seriously fun.  :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

That was the BEST run!