Sunday, December 20, 2009

Eighteen Really Stunk


Geez Louise, eighteen really sucked.  There's honestly no other way to say it.  Well, actually, there are a few other ways that would adequately express how miserable that was, but I'll stick with sucked. 

I have never been that sore and miserable in my life.  I would rather give birth.  Or possibly chop off my thumb. 

In hindsight, I think I've hit the dreaded "Wall" right about 13 miles the last two long runs.  The difference between the two was that during the 16 mile run I only had a little bit of run left.  During the 18 mile run this week, I had a whole lot more.  It was worse this week.  I went from feeling pretty tired and sore to feeling like there was no way I could take another step.  Not one more.  There was nothing in me that even cared that I couldn't take another step.  I had no idea why I was doing this and only wanted to get home.  I think I scared Julie a little bit, for good reason.  I scared myself, too.  She told me later she considered suggesting a short cut home, but decided "no, we have to finish."  I'm so glad you made that decision, Julie.   

If Julie hadn't been with me, I would have plopped my rear down on the corner of Riddell Road and Monmouth Cut Off and cried.  Then I would have called George, said "Come get me" and dropped out of the marathon.  I'd have run the half.  Honestly.  But Julie has been a gift to me and she didn't let that happen.  She helped me keep on going when I didn't think I could and because of her I finished the 18. 

I was pretty deep in despair about the whole thing last night.  I attempted my first ice bath because I was hurting so badly, but I just couldn't do it.  My shower felt good, though, and thanks to Rachel the pharmacist I took 4 ibuprofen (I never take more than 2) and started to feel a bit better.  I woke up so thirsty in the night and got up to eat peanut butter in the wee morning hours because my stomach was growling madly, but this morning I was much less sore than I expected to be.  I took another round of 3 ibuprofen this morning and I've felt pretty decent all day.   

I'm not ready to think about the next long run yet, but I know there will be a 20.  I couldn't have said that yesterday. 

We had a couple of humorous moments on our run yesterday.  Once we were running along the highway toward Monmouth when a weird, metallic sound sort of "clinked" behind us.  For a split second I thought something metal had fallen from a tree and hit something metal on the ground.  Both Julie and I turned around to look over our shoulders at the same moment, and both of us jumped and screamed.  I think we scared the poor kid on the bicycle who was trying to pass us and had rung his bike bell at us.  lol 

A few miles later, out on Riddell Road, I sort of yelled, "Oh gosh!  Look!  It's a bald eagle!"  I got all excited and was feeling like this was about to be a beautiful moment when we got a little closer and I realized the bald eagle on the fence post was made of wood.  Not such a beautiful moment. 


I'm going to work on recovering a bit and then I'll start to think about the next one.  I'm going to be very, very glad to have this thing over with.

5 comments:

Julie said...

You did scare me! Glad we made it..together! You are awesome Darcy and you will do this!!!

Michelle said...

So are you going to run a marathon?

Annette said...

Finally got around to reading this. Even though I'm a "follower" of your blog, it doesn't show up on my blog roll. What's up with that?

Anyway - nice work on 18! You are a machine! OK, so machines sometimes hit the wall, too! ;) Good luck on 20. That's some serious work. You are lucky to have a running buddy. I think that's a big reason I never make it past 1/2 marathon training. Running long by yourself gets so boring and it's easier to call it quits. :) Yay for Julie! Everyone should have a Julie. ;)

Darcy said...

Yes, Michelle, I'm running the SurfCity Marathon in Huntington Beach on February 7th. It's my first and wow is this training something else. I'm only following the plans for finishing, no time goals, so the easiest training possible for a full marathon. I can't imagine doing more right now and have incredible respect for anyone finishing faster than I will!

I think you're right on the running partner, Annette. In all seriousness I would not have been able to do this on my own.

Darcy said...

I also ought to say that just about everyone will finish faster than I will! lol