Saturday, January 24, 2009

Shin Splints

I knew going into the 10k that I wasn't as prepared as I should be. I had only run 6 miles once before with considerable soreness afterward. My 10k went really well, but I was so sore that week! As the pain subsided I did a little research and I really think I have shin splints. Darn it. It's my own fault ~ I think I'm the classic "too much too soon" scenario. I tried to run about 5 days after the race, thinking I could work out the soreness, but it actually was pretty painful. Since then I've been sidelined, trying to let myself recover fully this time. I think I'm just about all better and I've come out the other side with a new commitment to stretching, not pushing myself quite so hard (don't like that one a bit), and hydrating more. I'm not going to beat myself up about this, just learn from it and move forward. I've been anxious to get back out on the road, so hopefully this week I can venture out a little.

I'm supposed to run a hilly 5k next weekend at the Zena Road Runs and I'm really hoping I'll be ready for that. I may have to force myself to walk parts of it, which really burns me, but I know I have to be smart. I'll see how this week goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the shin splints. I guess that's your body talking. Glad you're listening! :) Don't go nuts at Zena. I'm a little worried about the hills myself! I think I'm going to get my butt kicked. You will not be impressed by my time - guaranteed. :) So, no pressure from me! Don't let anyone else give it to you either.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog by luck. I'm a fellow runner/blogger too and just ran the Zena 10K too!

Sarah