Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Nike Plus


I didn't know I was a gadget girl, but it turns out I am. I've been wanting the Nike+ iPod for awhile, but I didn't necessarily want the Nike running shoes that go with them, so I've just pined over it a bit. Before Christmas I did some googling and discovered there are plenty of options for using the sensor without the shoes ~ bingo! I'll try the shoes on next time I need running shoes, but I love my Mizuno's so not expecting to switch. Anyway...

This thing is so cool. I used double sided fabric tape to adhere it to the tongue of my shoe under the laces and so far that's working well. It works with either the iPod Nano or the iTouch. I'm using the iTouch, so all I do is click on the little icon and select the type of run I'm doing. Today I clicked on a 4 mile run and when we started running I pushed 'start'. I tucked the iTouch into the pocket in my leggings, put one earbud in my ear, and off we went. I chose the no music option since I was with my running partner, so it was just silent most of the time. At the one mile mark a voice told me in my earbud that we had just passed one mile, then two, then three, and in the final half mile it counted me down by 100 meter marks until we finished.

After the run it shows me our distance, total time, pace per mile and calories burned. It also does an automatic calibration of my stride to give a more accurate assessment. When I sync my iTouch it automatically uploads my workout to NikePlus.com, which keeps track of my total distance for the year and other fun things.

So far, I love this thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love running toys! Sounds like a good one for you. :) I just got a Garmin. It doesn't talk to me, but it gives me my pace, distance, calories burned, etc. Then I download it and have it one the computer once I'm done. Don't you just love technology? :)