Wednesday, March 4, 2009

She's back

I feel like I lost an entire month of this year to sickness. One after the next we were sick in my house and this darn bug is hard to shake. This week I finally woke up and felt like I had the strength to go for a run. For most people this would result in putting on shoes, lacing them up, and having a nice little jog in the spring sunshine. Unfortunately, this is not how my disfunctional brain normally operates.

Even though I wanted to run, I didn't. Please don't ask me why. If I could figure that part of me out I would be fit, thin and my house would always be neat. My children would always put the lid on the toothpaste and I would have systematically taught them self discipline so that no one ever fails to clean up after themselves. The reality is that I'm a bit lazy and I struggle against it constantly. Well, actually that's not true. A lot of the time I just give in to it. haha!

So anyway, I spent all morning yesterday trying like mad to talk myself into going for a run. I had just about given up when *ding dong* the doorbell rang. It was Tricia, my running partner and great encouragement. She brought me a half marathon training plan, pulled from a magazine, and off she went. It was exactly what I needed. I stood there in my messy, oversized pajama pants and a giant t-shirt, hair every which way and zero makeup and thought, what the heck am I doing?!? So I threw on some running pants and my shoes, yanked my hair into a pony tail and hit the road. I ran 2 miles and felt like the queen of the world. 2 miles isn't much, but it was perfect for my first day out all month. I didn't have to walk, I found my groove, and I felt so darn good when I was finished.

Why do I fight myself so hard sometimes? It's like I have a self destruct mode or something, I don't know. I guess the important thing is that I keep picking myself up and dusting myself back off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That running partner of yours is a keeper! :) Glad you made it out after your sick break. It's always hard to get moving again after time off. That's great that your run felt good! Sounds like you're back at it. :)