Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ready or Not, Here I Come

I am in soooo much trouble.  Honestly.  Yes, I tend to be a slacker trainer.  Yes, I struggle to EVER feel like I've trained "enough".  But this time takes the cake. 

Coming off my Hood to Coast slump, I didn't run one single bit for several months.  Not a step.  Maybe to chase the dog, but that's it.  Finally my darling cousin Windy, all set to run the half marathon at Surf City with me, kicked my rear in gear.  She was training for her first half and the sudden realization that I might let her down scared me into running.  When we were little kids we used to fight about things like whether we would sleep with the light on at night (she wanted it on, I wanted if off), but I adore my cousins and I didn't want to let her down.

For the next couple of months I sort of, mostly, almost trained for the half.  Really.  And I was feeling sort of, mostly, almost ready, too.  Kudos to me!  Pats on the back!  (not)  Now here I am, 6 days from the big race and I am struggling to get over a very nasty flu-ish/coldish virus that womped me down.

I certainly am good at getting myself into running messes, aren't I? 

So on Thursday I am flying to John Wayne Airport in Orange County (where I hear they have a strange thing in the sky called "the sun") and I am running (?) a half marathon with my cousin Win and the flu.

Love it. 

Stay tuned. 

2 comments:

Kei said...

Ugh, not fun. 6 days is enough time to be feeling better. Pamper yourself, drink lots of water and GET BETTER!

Can do mom said...

Darcy, so glad to hear you're running again but sad about your illness. I'll be praying that you recover quickly and have a blast at the race.

:)